Friday 4 December 2015

The Planet of the Apes

Probably my husband is one of the biggest movie buffs that I've ever known. He can remember dates, names, soundtracks of the movies, even complete dialogues. In fact, he has some scripts of his favourite films. In my case, I'm  the complete opposite. I enjoy watching movies, but frecuently, I forget important information about my favorites movies. I don't know why. Maybe it's because I'm used to asking him about these data.  Yesterday evening, I took  advantage of all his knowldge of movies and I asked him about my  favourite movie in my childhood. I know that I could have looked for it on the Internet, but for me it is more enjoyable to talk with my cinephile husband ... the result is this review: 
The Planet of the Apes was directed by Franklin Schaffner and it is based on the book 'La Planète des singes' written by Pierre Boulle. It stars Charlton Heston as Taylor; Kim Hunter as Zira and Maurice Evans as Dr Zaius. The film won an honorary award for its outstanding make up in 1969.



The movie is set in the future in the year 3978. It was filmed on location in Utah, Arizona and the last scene was filmed on Zuma beach in California.

The Planet of the Apes is a science fiction film. At the beginning of the story an astronaut crew crash-land on a strange planet. They thought that it was deserted until  they discovered some primitive humans. But they are really surprised when they realize that this planet is being dominated by an intelligent ape race, who are even   able to speech. The crew tried to escape but the apes caught them. A wound Taylor's throat prevented him from speaking. While Taylor is trapped in a cage, Zira, a scientist ape tries to teach him some words but it is impossible, as he can´t speak. However, Taylor steals a piece of paper and he writes his name and other information. After that when his throat has healed, he tells them that he comes from another planet. The oldest scientist Dr Zaius, wants to hide at all costs this truth, because he thinks that humans are violent, selfish, destructive and greedy. Finally, Taylor manages to escape riding on horse. When he is galloping along  the shoreline he sees the wreck of the Statue of the Liberty. He then realizes that the strange planet has always been... The Earth.
  
Although this movie is old, I strongly recommended The Planet of the Apes, because with this film the audience could reflect on the destiny of the human race and  also on the nature of human conscience like a simple animal or like the most dangerous and destructive species on earth
 

No comments:

Post a Comment