Saturday 18 March 2017

Coincidence or Causation?

It is funny how we learn the most important and relevant things in our lives. Most of the time these
meaningful learning are acquired by chance. Oddly enough, this was just how I learned to make origami.

Nowadays, I can remember with a half smile my first years living in Spain. At that time, although I tried to see the positive side of things (a long and tedious process to validate my degree, living away from my family and friends, not having friends in this country, starting a life with my husband), I inevitably fell into the temptation to think negatively and consequently to fall into a stressful situation.

That was until I met a person who would mark my life forever. One day, I attended a conference on immigrant women which exposed the complex problem of migration. Then, I was surprised how my story was repeated over and over again with different faces and nationalities. The weight on my shoulders seemed to lighten when I heard that my problems in this country were more common than I could imagine.

On that day I met Megumi a formidable Japanese woman. Since then we have forged a great friendship. In fact, thanks to her I was able to learn that patience is truly an art that can be learned and stimulated. So every time I feel that a situation stresses me, I make some origami cranes because: “An ancient Japanese legend promises that anyone who folds a thousand origami cranes will be granted a wish by the gods. Some stories believe you are granted eternal good luck, instead of just one wish, such as long life or recovery from illness or injury.”

No comments:

Post a Comment